Land of the Free, Because of the Brave
In the storefront window of a locked down store in a local mall, there was a plaque with the message – “Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.” This slight alteration of the famous last line from one of America’s beloved anthems “America the Beautiful” sent a painful reminder. What happens to the land of the free when so few are brave?
Our Founding Fathers were models of bravery and many of them would caution us with famous lines about our responsibility to remain free.
- Washington – “Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains taken to bring it to light”
- Jefferson – “If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed.”
- Hamilton – He called for “an inviolable respect for the Constitution and the Laws”
- Henry – “Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.”
- Paine – “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.”
What has transpired in our great America in 2020, and particularly the recent presidential election, should give us all pause to ask – what do we each need to do right now to be brave in this land of the free, fighting for our rights as citizens just to speak our own mind.
The Founders’ wisdom suggests we do the following:
- Get to the truth of what is going on in Washington. Expand the sources you use to get informed and hear what is being shared beyond mainstream and social media.
- Revisit the Constitution and Bill of Rights to remind you of the great gift of freedom the Founders worked hard to create, and the risks they took and bravery they displayed to speak their mind. It has been a while since I read those documents. But looking at them now, each right they defined is under attack especially freedom of speech.
- Bring your own thinking based on the truths you find and the rights you may take for granted. Decide what brave actions (or pains) you are willing to take to preserve your individual freedom. Those who want to take away your thinking may also want to take away your freedom and rights.
That is why the early settlers fighting the Revolutionary War would shout “Live Free or Die”. They knew life without freedom isn’t worth living.
 See all the founding documents here https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs